The church of Saints Vladimir and Olha is the second church of the parish.
The first church was constructed in 1943-1944 upon a 3 acre site donated by Anthony Magnowski, on highway #45 east of Angusville. Construction of the church was accomplished through the voluntary labor of all the parishioners under the foremanship of John Germak. The initiation of the project and establishment of the building fund was carried out by Anthony Magnowski, Harry Tatchuk, Wasyl Bysko, and William Stanchuk. The women of the parish under the direction of the wives of Anthony Magnowski and Michael Luba, provided essential culinary services. Pastor Rev. M. Shwed also participated in the construction. The single-nave church had three domes apexing its frontal summit, a front vestibule and an interior artistically decorated by John Pushka. In 1969 a fire of unknown origin caused the total destruction of the church. Until the second church was constructed parishioners attended Holy Services in Lakedale or those especially celebrated for them in the Roman Catholic church in Angusville. Parish faithful were visited by Metropolitan Maxim Hermaniuk on Sunday, July 31, 1966, Sept. 12, 1971 and Nov. 27, 1977.
Parishioners resolved to build their second church right in the town of Angusville. Construction details were under the auspices of the construction committee consisting of Rev. John Lehky, Paul M. Luba, Matt Senko, John Katchin, Alex Kalynuk, Alex Chuchmuch, and the foreman Michael Sidoryk. As was the case with the first church, the project was made possible through the generous monetary donations of the faithful. An additional benefit was a $20,000.00 fire insurance settlement. The church was blessed by Metropolitan Maxim Hermaniuk on Sunday, Sept. 12, 1971 and visited again by him on Oct. 29, 1978. The following are names of those pastors who have spiritually served the parish since its inception Rev. M. Shwed 1944, Rev. J. Fornalchuk 1946, Rev. R Zakrewsky 1947, Rev. V. Luchkiw 1949, Rev. J. Zlepko 1952, Rev. M. Bzdel 1957, Rev. J. Lehky 1963 to the present day. Cantoral duties were performed by William Stanchuk, Michael Snitynsky from Rossburn, Matt and John Glushka, and John Stefanishyn (from 1973 to the present day).
The single-nave wooden church has an exterior finished in narrow light-coloured wooden siding. A large iron cross projects over the frontal summit of the gabled asphalt shingled roof. Two frontal towers are apexed by sheet metal covered domes. Entry to the church is through an added-on vestibule where parishioners may leave their heavy winter coats on frigid winter days. Over the entrance hangs a large electrically illuminated cross. Stairs down to the basement and upward to the choir loft originate on the right side of the vestibule. Confessionals are located on the left side. The doors leading from the vestibule into the nave are decoratively inlaid with transparent glass in the form of a large cross. The ceiling of the nave is of acoustically enhancing panels of light-coloured donacona. The slope of the semi-vaulted ceiling corresponds to the gabled form of the roof. The interior walls are of wood coloured plywood. The sanctuary is separated from the nave by a partition of narrow vertical panels of transparent glass. Hanging upon this glass divider bilaterally to the main altar are large holy images of the Blessed Virgin Mary with the Infant Jesus, and of Jesus Christ the Teacher – the work of artist Theodore Baran. A painted icon of the church patrons, Saints Vladimir and Olha (unsigned), acquired in Winnipeg, adorns the wall behind the main altar. The sanctuary is adjoined bilaterally by two sacristies with the one on the right of the main altar exiting to the church grounds and also leading down to the basement via a set of stairs. Large stained glass windows are built into the lateral walls of the nave; between them are the Stations of the Cross. A large square window is built into the wall above the church patron icon in the sanctuary. A similar window in the choir loft has an angulated summit which corresponds to the lines of the gabled roof and thus contributes an aesthetically pleasing decorative quality to the appearance of the church facade. The church is illuminated electrically by lamps suspended in a row from the longitudinal peak of the ceiling and also by a large chandelier hanging before the sanctuary.
The building is electrically heated. Twenty large and sixteen smaller symmetrically arranged pews provide seating for approximately 180 faithful. The linoleum covered floor is carpeted up the central aisle and in the sanctuary and sacristies. The nave measure 32 x 27.5 feet; the sanctuary extends this area by 14.5 x 13.5 feet. A finished basement houses the kitchen and parish hall where all festive, solemn, educational and administrative parish activities are held. These include meetings of the parish youth and Catechism classes. The construction of the basement was made possible through the financial donation of Tony Sawchyshyn who in 1975 donated the required sum in memory of his deceased wife Polly. A plaque in the church acknowledges with gratitude and appreciation this generous gift. A belfry constructed at the same time as the first church stands upon church grounds. After the original church was destroyed by fire the belfry was relocated to the new site and renovated. The original cemetery, located upon the site of the first church 1/4 mile east of the present church still serves as the parish cemetery. The St. George cemetery, located ? miles west of Angusville, is also still used. It was acquired in 1926 by the original 24 settlers of the area, several of whom were Michael Derkach, Charlie Kuz, Wasyl Huta, Peter Olinyk, Maxim Kuz, Andrew Nahirniak, and Charlie (Vasyl) Ushey. The original plans of these settlers had included the construction of a church upon this site; due to insufficient interest, this plan was never realized.
The parish at Angusville, considered at one time to be one of the largest of the area, is part of a Ukrainian settlement which dates back to the year 1900. It had 25 founding members, a number which grew to 90 faithful. Directors of parish executives included Matt Chuchmuch, Tony Sawchyshyn, Alex Kalynuk and Alex Juba. A Sisterhood served the parish from its inception. Notable among its members were Mary Semochko, Doris Chuchmuch, Lena Kalynuk, Sonja Chuchmuch and Vicky Kalynuk. The cemetery was cared for by Vasyl Gushko, Lyle Mushumanski, Tony Sawchyshyn and Ivan Senko. Currently, the parish registers 55 members, four of whom were born in Ukraine. In 1988 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. John Lehky, pastor, Peter Kostiuk, Joseph Senko, and Gloria Rubeniuk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of Saints Vladimir and Olha, Angusville, is under the pastoral charge of Rossburn.
**This description was first written in 1989. It is incomplete and we look forward to updating this information in due time.